Recipe provided by Chef John Schulze.
Currently, the owner/operator of Zydeco Bistro Food Truck, Chef John Schulze was a contestant in the ChefUniforms.com Contest to win an All Expense Paid Trip to the NRA Show 2011. Though he was not one of the grand prize winners, he was kind enough to allow us to interview him and to send us one of his recipes. Interview to follow shortly.
Andouille & Poulet
• 1 ea. Capon chicken or similar sized chicken
• 1 pound Andouille Sausage or other smoked sausage
• 1 tbl sp cooking oil
• 1 large onion
• 1/2 ea. green and red bell pepper
• 4 ribs celery
• 2 ea. Bay leaf
• 1 tsp dry thyme
• 1 tsp dry basil
• ZB’s Creole dust t.t. about 2 tbl sp. or another Creole seasoning
• Salt and pepper t.t.
• 1.5 cups Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice
• 1 tsp paprika
• ZB’s hot sauce or your favorite one
• Garlic 4 cloves (crushed and minced)
• Chicken stock 3 cups
• L & P Sauce
* Optional – add a little creole sauce or stewed okra for a garnish
Cut up chicken into about 16 pieces. Heat up pot with oil and season chicken with Creole seasoning and brown it real good. Cut up all vegetables into a large dice. Remove the chicken and add the vegetables. Brown them together then add the garlic and cook until lightly brown. Add the sausage, chicken and cook and stir. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Taste for seasoning and reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let cook until all liquid has been absorbed. Do not stir once you cover it.