April 22nd is a day of global celebration of our home, Mother Earth and with it, brings awareness to help preserve it for future generations. Do you know that this year, in 2014, Earth Day is celebrating its 44th Anniversary? Earth day began in 1970 when one in ten people united together for better protection of our environment. Now, it is a much bigger movement especially due to the effects of the growing demands of our economy and the radical changes of our climate all over the world.
Here are some interesting facts according to Dosomething.org:
- Earth Day began in the US but was then globally recognized by 1990.
- On April 22nd 2009, Disney released a documentary called Earth. It revealed the journeys of 3 animal families – polar bears, elephants and humpback whales across our planet.
- On that fateful day of our first Earth Day in 1970, 20 million people gathered on American streets to protest the industrial revolution thereby, giving birth to the environmental movement.
- People around the world celebrate Earth Day:
- by planting trees and wildflowers
- making nature crafts at school or at home
- increasing their knowledge of our environment
- holding educational sessions about the environment
- teaching children about carrying Earth Day forward so that every day, they are playing an important role in helping the environment.
- Recycling more especially as it is now part of our everyday lives
- cleaning up litter
- purchasing earth-friendly cleaning products
- wearing green or brown clothing like our green or brown chefwear and accessories
- riding your bike or taking the public transportation system instead of driving your car and lastly….
- cooking a fabulous Earth Day Meal
There are many restaurants that participate in Earth Day to promote local and organic ingredients in their menus. Check out this great list of participating restaurants all over the U.S from Chefs Collaborative.org. They have partnered with Organic Valley to sponsor an annual dinner series in honor of Earth Day.
If you can’t make it out to a restaurant, here are some great ideas for an eco-friendly home cooked meal and desserts….
Happy Earth Day and let us all do our part in preserving our home today and each day for a cleaner and sustainable tomorrow…..What are you doing for Earth Day? We would love to hear about your plans.