Our July Chef of the Month, Jason Connelly is based in Florida and works at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa. He is the Senior Sous Chef for the Sea Level Restaurant and Ocean Bar. We wanted to indulge you in the Marriott Brand and how far it has come in the last 87 years.
Marriott International Inc has been around for more than 80 years. Founded in 1927 when J. Willard Marriott and his wife, Alice S. Marriott opened his 9-stool root beer stand in Washington, D.C., it evolved into the Hot Shoppes Restaurant chain and eventually, transformed into the largest hotel company with more than 4,000 properties in over 80 countries. Marriott is headquartered near Washington, DC in Bethesda, Maryland, USA and their President and CEO is Arne Sorenson.
According to Marriott’s site, they divulged that “their reputation for superior customer service dates back to J. Willard Marriott’s original goal for his business: “good food and good service at a fair price.” We take pride in the details—every day, in every destination worldwide. A true hands-on manager, he thoroughly enjoyed visiting Marriott’s increasingly far-flung locations, as well as spending time with the ever-growing ranks of associates who – in his eyes – were the secret of his company’s success. “Take care of associates and they’ll take care of your customers,” he constantly advised Marriott’s managers, voicing a deeply held belief that remains the keystone of the company’s culture. Sometime before his death at his New Hampshire vacation home on August 13, 1985, J. Willard Marriott summed up the personal philosophy that drove him his entire life: “A man should keep on being constructive, and do constructive things. He should take part in the things that go on in this wonderful world. He should be someone to be reckoned with. He should live life and make every day count, to the very end. Sometimes it’s tough. But that’s what I’m going to do.” Raised in the family business, J.W. “Bill” Marriott, Jr. developed an early passion for hospitality. Their son, J.W. “Bill” Marriott, Jr., grew up working in the family business and spent more than 50 years shaping it into one of the world’s leading hospitality companies. Bill Marriott is currently Marriott’s Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board.”
Marriott’s Facts (Taken from Marriott’s News Center)
- A FORTUNE 500 Company
- Listed on the New York Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: MAR)
- $13 billion in annual revenue in 2013
- More than 4,000 locations in 80 countries and territories worldwide
- More than 150 new hotels opened in 2012 in U.S. alone
- Marriott International (NASDAQ: MAR) has been named to the FORTUNE 500, ranking 219 overall, up from 2013’s ranking of 230, and ranking as the top hotel company in the hotels, casinos and resorts category.
- Marriott is also the highest ranked company on the list with its headquarters in the Washington, DC-area.
- Marriott is also included on this year’s FORTUNE “The Best Places to Work” list and the magazine’s The World’s Most Admired List, which measures a company’s corporate reputation.
- Marriott has more than 690,000 rooms and, as of the end of quarter one 2014, the company had more than 200,000 rooms in its global development pipeline, a 35 percent increase from a year ago.
Have you ever stayed at one of Marriott’s Hotels? Tell us what you loved about them!