Meet Blonde. Exquisite. Delectable. Savory.
Chef Chocolatier Maura Metheny created her hazelnut and lemon cake masterpiece called “Blonde” at the 24th annual U.S. Pastry Competition for Pastry Chef of the Year in New York City in March 2013 and earned a bronze medal! Congrats Chef Metheny!
For all of our adventurous chocolatiers in the making, check out Chef Metheny’s recipe below to recreate this delectable dessert.
If you want to take it to the next level and learn from professional artisan chocolatiers and pastry chefs in Southwest Florida, Norman Love Confections has summer classes and you can check out their class schedule here. The new schedule will be published after Valentine’s Day 2016.
Hazelnut and Lemon Cake Recipe
Hazelnut and Lemon Biscuit:
75g Hazelnut Flour
75g Confectionary Sugar
1g Lemon Zest
137g Egg Whites
60g Cake Flour
1. Whip toasted and cooled hazelnut flour, confectionary sugar, eggs, yolks and lemon zest to a light ribbon.
2. Whip Egg whites and sugar to soft peak.
3. Fold 1/3 of meringue into egg mixture.
4. Fold in sifter cake flour into egg/meringue mixture.
5. Fold in remaining 2/3 meringue and pour into desired cake pan to bake at 155 degrees celsius for 25-30 minutes until center is dry when tested.
160g 99% Noel Liquor Chocolate
90g Heavy Cream
120g Cold Water
460g Mirror Glaze
230g Hazelnut Paste
1. Microwave Mirror glaze to 50 degrees celsius.
2. Bloom gelatin with cold water.
3. Boil cream and pour over chocolate to create a ganache.
4. Emulsify hot ganache into hot mirror glaze.
5. Add hazelnut paste and melted bloomed gelatin mixture while continuing to blend.
6. Store in refrigerator for 24 hours before reheating to use.
Milk and Dark Chocolate Mousse:
50g Heavy Cream
30g Whole Milk
100g 33% Noel Lactee Chocolate
145g 64% Noel Royale Chocolate
430g Heavy Cream
1. Cook Yolks, sugar, heavy cream and milk all together in a pot to 85 degrees celsius.
2. Strain into mixing bowl and whip cool.
3. Melt chocolates together.
4. Whip heavy cream to medium consistency.
5. Fold chocolates into whipped Anglaise.
6. Fold 1/3 whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
7. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream.
42g Cold Water
250g Hazelnut Praline
275g Piedmont Hazelnuts
255g Heavy Cream
1. Bloom gelatin in cold water.
2. Roast Hazelnuts and puree into paste.
3. Boil Heavy cream and pour over praline and hazelnut paste, stir to create an emulsion.
4. Add bloomed melted gelatin and blend with emulsion blender.
450g Heavy Cream
27g Cold Water
1. Toast and grind hazelnuts to paste.
2. Cook, cream, sugar, and yolks to 85 degrees celsius.
3. Pour Anglaise over hazelnut paste and mix until emulsified.
4. Bloom gelatin and cold water for 5 minutes and add to ganache.
5. Stir until fully incorporated.
100g Ravifruit Lemon Puree
10g Potato Starch
12g Cold Water
1. Boil Puree, 1st sugar and butter.
2. Whisk starch with 2nd sugar and whip with eggs and yolks until smooth.
3. Temper egg mixture into hot liquid cook to 85 degrees celsius.
4. Bloom gelatin with cold water for 5 minutes.
5. Add bloomed gelatin mixture to hot lemon cream and stir until smooth and fully incorporated.
75g Toasted Blanched Hazelnuts
45g Hazelnut Praline
135g 35% Cocoa Noel Lactee Chocolate
1. Roast, cool, and coarsely chop hazelnuts.
2. Melt chocolate and cool to 35 degrees celsius.
3. Mix all ingredients and roll to desired thickness.