I don’t think you all are ready for this recipe! As the holidays approach, sometimes we just need a quick and delicious meal, Chef of the Month Rod Knight shares us with his amazing Croque Monsieur recipe.
This quick and easy Croque Monsieur sans béchamel is guaranteed to satisfy the snack attack. It is a classic French sandwich that translates literally into “Crispy Mister,” due to the Gratin on the finish. We [Chef Rod and his team] actually “discovered” this method on accident – one shift during service we ran out of béchamel and had to fulfill the order, and this was a happy accident, as they say, necessity is the mother of ingenuity.
What you’ll need:
1/2 lbs of baby swiss cheese
1/2 lbs of good quality ham
1/4 cup of heavy cream
6 slices of Harty Sliced Bread
1. Grate Cheese
2. In a mixing bowl, combine salt and pepper, ground nutmeg to taste, heavy cream, and cheese. Mix well.
3. On a greased cookie sheet, place 3 slices of bread, apply the cheese mixture to the slices and spread evenly across the whole slice.
4. Then layer the ham.
5. Repeat the same process for the top layer and place cheese side down on the sandwich.
6. Then next step is to add another layer of cheese to the top of the sandwich.
7. Bake on middle rack for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Transfer to the top rack and broil until they are golden.
The final product:
We hope you enjoyed this week’s delicious recipe from Chef Rod. Stay tuned for our Chef of the Month Rod Knight’s final recipe next week, it is a recipe that will satisfy all fish lovers’ cravings.